This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase a product using the link, I may receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you, and your support means the absolute world to me. It's boring af but please read Disclaimer for more information.
What the hell England?! In the morning, it’s so cold I’m carrying cigarette butts around in my bra and by the time I pop out of the office to get my lunch it’s so warm that my hair has decided to expand itself in happiness. What on earth are we supposed to wear when it’s like this?!
Fear not, I have put together a short list of some casual wardrobe staples that are absolutely perfectly transitional in this weird autumnal weather.
- THE SILKY BOMBER. (New Look, £29.99) I actually have this one as well as a million others in various textures and colours. They were ideal for late summer evenings and I think they are perfect for these early fall mornings. Thin enough to be worn underneath a coat but enough coverage to keep the chill off on a sunnier October day.
- THE BLACK CHOKER. (ASOS, £5) Okay so I took a liberty with this one as I don’t really think it’s gonna do much to keep a centimetre perimeter of your neck warm. BUT, this is THE accessory of AW16/17. Works for casual or dressy and adds a finishing, edgy touch to almost any outfit. Pair with a check shirt and black jeans or a cami and bomber jacket to channel Chelsea-gal cool.
- COLD SHOULDER KNIT. (River Island, £36) This is on my hit list. I love it. It’s the standard chunky knit winter jumper but way better. The cold shoulder style will keep you at just the right temperature so you don’t overheat when it gets too warm.
- THE CAMEL SCARF. (Acne Studios, £120) Totally classic and will keep on giving for years to come. A scarf is the ultimate transitional piece and always will be so nothing groundbreaking here. Invest in a good one and it will love you forever.
- HIGH NECK TOP. (River Island, £10) Get one in every colour! These are popping up absolutely everywhere and for good reason! They go with anything, work for casual or glam outfits and are great for layering making them the ultimate transitional piece.
- WINTER FLORAL BLOUSE. (River Island, £25) Move over spring pastel pretties, there’s a new floral in town. Lightweight but grungier, floral blouses for autumn/winter are a far cry from your soft pretty florals of spring. Get a thinner blouse with long sleeves for your transitional casual clothing fix.
- THE VICTORIANA BLOUSE. (Monsoon, £59) You’ll be lucky to grab this exact one – it’s been sold out for weeks after appearing on all the top bloggers on Instagram. Grab one similar if you can though – these are set to be a major trend this autumn and will look great under a leather jacket and a giant scarf as the weather gets cooler.
- HERRINGBONE PONCHO. (Y.A.S. £25) It’s like a scarf, but a blanket, but not a blanket scarf…? Pair it with a belt, a high neck top and some boots for quintessential autumn style – you can always take it off if you get too warm. Ideal for a casual weekend warmer.
- THE LITTLE BLACK BOOT. (Kurt Geiger, now £99) Every girl needs a pair of little black boots in her shoe arsenal. I got these in the sale and I will never look back. They are a great height and are so comfy, they keep my feet dry and warm in soggy London, and they are suited to daytime and nighttime. You really can’t go wrong with these.
- THE LEATHER JEANS. (Missguided, £25) I have searched high and low for a pair of coated leather jeans that would be tight on my waist and not baggy around my ankles. I found the holy grail with these Missguided jeans, and for £25! Insane! I love leather jeans/trousers at this time of year, I love the contrast with snuggly knitted jumpers and scarfs and the edginess they bring to any outfit. Perfect!
So those are my casual wardrobe must haves for the new season. Do you have any of these? How do you cope with the weird ever-changing weather?